Sunday, December 7, 2008

Your Last Praise Set

For those of you who weren't on this week, Greg gave us an interesting exercise that I'd encourage you all to do. Here it is...

It's your last day on earth (you're about to face your mortality...). You get to pick the praise set for your last worship service. It can be as long or short as you'd like. What songs would you choose and why?

Here's mine:
In Christ Alone
-This song really sums up what our faith is based on
Come Home Running
-I so often find myself falling away from where I need to be. This song really speaks of God's love to me in a very personal way as well as his desire to maintain relationship with me.
How Great is Our God
Glorious (this is a Chris Tomlin song we don't do)
Be Thou My Vision
Breathe
Holy
You Are the One
The Heart of Worship
-As someone who's been so invested in music for so long, the reminder that worship is so much more than that weighs heavy when we sing this.
Step by Step
-A simple statement, but sincere, and something I need reminded of. I will seek you in the morning, I will learn to walk in your ways, Step by Step you'll lead me.

Some of these I chose because the music takes me to a deep place of worship. The overall theme of my set focuses on the glory and awesomeness of God; something I would want to focus on as my last act of earthly worship.

Share your set if you'd like, as well as the reasons. More important, sing your set! These songs are meaningful to you for a reason, so praise your Father with them.

"Worship can take us from sorrow about death to anticipation." (Tom's paraphrase of Greg)

6 comments:

  1. I should note that the exercise was taken from "Worship Leader Magazine." As much as I'd like to claim responsibility for it... haha. I think if I had to pick only one song it would be "It is Well With My Soul" It says it all for what would be at time like that.

    ~Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'll Fly Away" Ha ha--couldn't resist

    Seriously, though:
    "All of You"
    "Agnus Dei"
    "This World" by Caedmon's Call
    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRrNMHQSTtk&feature=related)

    "This World" Lyrics

    There's tarnish on the golden rule
    And I wanna jump from this ship of fools
    Show me a place where hope is young
    And a people who aren't afraid to love

    This world has nothing for me and this world has everything
    All that I could want and nothing that I need

    This world is making me drunk on the spirits of fear.
    So when he says who will go, I am nowhere near.

    And the least of these look like criminals to me
    So I leave Christ on the street

    This world has held my hand and has led me into intolerance
    But now I'm waking up, but now I'm breaking up
    But now I'm making up for lost time

    And I would love to hear Keith Green sing "The Victor." It's about Christ conquering death, but what better time to embrace His victory, then when you're about to die?

    ~Xena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Iam4Jesus. I've heard of the first song, but not the others. I'm a little jealous that my computer prowess is not up to snuff. I couldn't figure out how to link the song titles when leaving a comment like you did (it's easy when doing a post.
    ~Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a few others - I just have trouble remembering song titles. But these 3 really impress the Glory and tangible presence of the Lord to me...

    Revelation Song:
    Filled with wonder,
    Awestruck wonder
    At the mention of Your Name
    Jesus, Your Name is Power
    Breath, and Living Water
    Such a marvelous mystery


    Oh How He Loves Us is such a poetic revelation of the Heart and Passion of the Father to me, His child.

    No Sweeter Name reflects my heart toward Him.
    No sweeter name than the Name of Jesus,
    No sweeter name have I ever known
    No sweeter name than the name of Jesus.

    You are the Life to my heart and my soul
    You are the Light to the darkness around me
    You are the Hope to the hopeless and broken
    You are the only Truth and the Way

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to add on to my list if I may :)

    Healer

    Not sure yet what it is about this song - but it touches something deep in my soul.

    ReplyDelete