As I sit here this morning, contemplating where to start with housecleaning today, I read my daily devotional. It was called "Clean House, Clean Heart." How appropriate! A metaphor I can relate too! Basically, the writer is comparing our hearts to our houses. Here is a key excerpt:
"...I considered how our hearts are like messy houses at times. On the outside we look in order, but on the inside our hearts are full of clutter – clutter such as unforgiveness, bitterness, self-condemnation, sadness, lack of joy, worry and much more. All this clutter makes for a huge mess behind the closed doors of our hearts. Just as putting off cleaning our homes creates chaos around us, the longer we allow our hearts to stay cluttered and messy, the more messes our bad habits make in our lives. Think about the havoc negative self-talk, selfishness, or grumpy attitudes have caused in the past."
I wonder how much 'heart clutter' can interfere with our worship? That's a question for each of us to ask on our own, but anything that distances us from our Father takes away from the authenticity of our worship. Time for a heart cleaning, anyone?
~Becky
I hope the condition of my room is not an indicator...yikes
ReplyDelete~Greg
My own experience is that 'heart clutter' can be very inhibiting- genuine praise takes my full concentration and focus on God. Problems and baggage I bring are distractions. I try on Sundays to spend a little time just clearing things out with God before the service- this is doubly important for us, because what affects my worship as a leader has the potential to affect everyone else's worship. This Sunday, let's take time to clear our hearts and minds to be used.
ReplyDelete~Tom
Some weeks focusing on God during praise time is a breeze, but other weeks it is a strain for me. It is such a challenge to "lay aside the worries of my day" that sometimes crowd into my mind while I am trying to exalt the King of Kings. I know spending time before the service in prayer and reading the Bible helps.
ReplyDelete-Todd